Facelift in Baton Rouge, LA
Accentuate Your best featuresSchedule a Consultation
Our faces define us
As people age, their facial tissues begin to weaken naturally, leading to fine lines, wrinkles, and skin laxity. These common signs of aging can be distressing, but fortunately, facelift surgery (rhytidectomy) can correct facial wrinkles and sagging skin.
A facelift typically addresses the neck and lower to mid-face areas, making patients look decades younger.
Dr. Mary Ghere is a highly reputable, board-certified plastic surgeon who provides quality facelifts in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Are You A Good Candidate for a Facelift?
Men and women who are unhappy with their facial appearance due to aging may find that facelift surgery is an ideal solution. This procedure is best for patients looking for a long-term solution to visible aging.
Consider a facelift if:
- You have loose skin on your lower face and neck, sometimes including jowls
- You have wrinkles and lines around your nose, cheeks, mouth, and neck
- You are at a healthy and stable weight
- You do not smoke
- Your facial appearance does not match the vitality you feel inside
Individuals with a BMI above 30 may want to lose weight before undergoing facelift surgery because weight loss after surgery may impact results.
If you smoke or use nicotine of any kind, you will need to quit weeks prior to the procedure to avoid risky complications during and after surgery, as well as poor incision healing.
What Are the Reasons to Get a Facelift?
Cosmetic surgery can provide much faster and more significant results compared to other anti-aging treatments.
Unlike at-home or in-office treatments that may only last from six months to two years before needing to be repeated, a facelift is a long-lasting surgical solution that only requires one to two weeks of downtime.
While there will be some swelling and bruising, this often subsides quickly, allowing you to show off your younger-looking face sooner.
Additionally, non-surgical or minimally invasive cosmetic treatments can’t correct facial laxity the way a facelift can. This surgery targets multiple layers of your skin and tissue for comprehensive facial rejuvenation to achieve the following benefits:
- Eliminates or significantly reduces lines and wrinkles
- Tightens and smooths skin on the neck and face
- Helps restore volume to the cheek area (often with fat grafting)
- Helps increase a patient’s self-confidence and self-image
Why spend months or years trying various, often costly treatments when a single procedure can provide the results you seek?
How Is a Facelift Surgery Performed?
Most plastic surgery techniques (including rhytidectomy) are performed under general anesthesia.
To ensure natural-looking results, today’s facelift lifts both the skin and underlying tissues. This process prevents the once-common “windblown” look associated with a poorly performed facelift.
During the procedure, incisions may be made in the hairline or behind the ears. Underlying facial tissues and skin may be recontoured, tightened, and lifted to a higher, more youthful position to eliminate skin laxity and smooth out wrinkles. Excess loose skin is excised, and sutures are used to close the incisions.
How Long Will My Recovery Take After My Facelift?
Most patients plan to take up to two weeks off work to recover. Mild to moderate discomfort during the first week of recovery is expected and can be treated with prescription or over-the-counter medications.
It is possible to resume work and light exercise after one to two weeks, but you should avoid vigorous exercise for four to six weeks.
Results will become more visible as swelling subsides, which may take four to six weeks to complete.
Frequently Asked Questions About Facelift Surgery
Can I combine a facelift with other procedures?
Yes. Rhytidectomy is commonly combined with other facial procedures, such as:
- Neck lift surgery – This procedure can be performed by itself but is usually included in a facelift.
- Brow lift surgery – A facelift doesn’t address the upper face, so if you have a furrowed or sagging brow, you may opt to add this procedure to your facelift.
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) – Droopy eyelids often accompany lines, wrinkles, and facial skin laxity. If this is the case for you, adding eyelid surgery is highly recommended for complete facial rejuvenation.
- Nose surgery (rhinoplasty – If you have always been unhappy with your nose or suffered an injury that caused undesirable aesthetic changes, having a nose job at the same time as your facelift makes sense.
Be sure to mention any additional procedures you are interested in during your initial consultation.
Will I have scars after my facelift?
Scars are inevitable after surgery. However, facial scars will be well concealed within the hairline or behind the ears in the natural creases, so it will be difficult to see these scars unless you deliberately go looking for them.
All scars fade with time.
What are my best non-surgical facelift alternatives?
While there is no non-surgical procedure that can deliver the same level of results as a facelift, there are some treatments that can help delay the need for a facelift while treating wrinkles and mild skin looseness. These include cosmetic injectables and laser treatments.
- Injectable treatments include neuromodulators like BOTOX® Cosmetic, Dysport®, and XEOMIN®. These are FDA approved to treat lines and wrinkles, such as those that form on the forehead, between the eyebrows, and at the outer corners of the eyes (crow’s feet). Injectable treatments can be beneficial even with a facelift since the surgery doesn’t address the upper face.
- Dermal fillers like JUVÉDERM® and BELOTERO BALANCE® are cosmetic injectables (made from hyaluronic acid) that fill lines and wrinkles for smoother skin. Some JUVÉDERM® products can also be used to add volume to the face and lips.
- Laser treatments can reduce or eliminate:
- Acne scars and breakouts
- Mild to moderate sagging skin
- Skin discoloration
- Spider veins
Request A Consultation
Additional questions about facelift?
Interested in Facelift Surgery in Baton Rouge, LA?
Dr. Ghere is a plastic surgery expert dedicated to providing her patients with surgical and non-surgical cosmetic treatments. Contact Dr. Ghere to see if a facelift in Baton Rouge can deliver your desired results. Schedule an appointment by calling (225) 412-4774 or filling out our online contact form.